Founded by brothers Alexander and James Robertson in November 1771, the Albany Gazette was the first newspaper published in the New York colony outside of New York City. The Robertson brothers printed the Gazette for less than a year, as difficulties obtaining supplies, distributing the paper, and a lack of subscriptions overwhelmed the small operation; their last issue was published in August 1772.
The Arkell Publishing Company published Judge magazine.
The Second Bank of the United States was chartered by Congress in 1816 to perform essentially the same duties as the First Bank: to stabilize and unify the country’s economy. In its first eight years it was plagued by mismanagement, instability, and fraud. In 1823, Nicholas Biddle became president of the bank and gained control over a large portion of its functionality. However, Andrew Jackson was elected as President in 1828 on a largely anti-Bank platform, arguing that the Bank of the United States violated republican ideals.
The Boston Courier was the first daily newspaper printed in Boston, with its first issue published on March 2, 1824. The Boston Courier was founded, published, and edited by prominent Boston conservative Joseph T. Buckingham, who had gained notoriety for publishing the New England Galaxy and Masonic Magazine.
The Cincinnati Gazette was founded as a weekly paper in July 1815 by publisher Thomas Palmer.
Founded by three white Quaker women in 1836, the New York Colored Orphan’s Asylum housed destitute African American orphans. Founders Anna and Hanna Shotwell and Mary Murry purchased a small building at 12th Street and Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, and began housing 11 black orphans rescued from almshouses. In 1843, the organization moved to larger house at 43rd and Fifth Avenue, which had a much larger capacity.
The Columbian Centinel was a continuation of the Massachusetts Centinel and the Republican Journal, first published by Benjamin Russell and William Warden in Boston, 1784.
Originally published by Noah Webster under the title American Minerva, the paper began as the Commercial Advertiser in September 1797 after a series of intermediate name changes. Webster ceased his work with the paper in 1803, and Zachariah Lewis took over as publisher.
Perhaps the most famous and prolific lithography house, Currier and Ives was founded on Nassau Street in New York City in 1834 by Nathaniel Currier. Currier operated this print shop, with its factory around the corner on Spruce Street, for 70 years. Currier enlisted self-trained artist James Merritt Ives in 1857 to create images for the firm.
E.C MacFarlane & Co. was the publisher for the humor magazine, Wasp.
Also known as the English or British East India Company or sometimes the “John Company,” the East India Company was founded on December 31, 1600 with a royal-charter from Elizabeth I. The Honourable Company of Merchants of London Trading into the East Indies had a virtual monopoly over English trade in the East. The organization was formally renamed in 1708 as the United Company of Merchants of England Trading to the East Indies (1708-1873).
The Evening Public Ledger was a daily Philadelphia newspaper founded in 1914 by Cyrus Curtis. It was a conservative newspaper which was popular among Philadelphia’s upper-middle class. In the 1920s it became one of the most widely read newspapers in Philadephia. Curtis died in 1934, and in 1941 Robert Cresswell purchased Evening Public Ledger.
Founded by Mordecai Manuel Noah in September 1833, the Evening Star was published in New York until August 1840. Noah invited Thomas Gill, previously the business manager for The Evening Post, to handle the financial end of the Evening Star.
The Philadelphia Evening Telegraph was founded in 1864 by Charles Edward Warburton and James Barclay Harding. After Harding’s death in October 1865, Warburton became the sole proprietor. Former Telegraph reporter and city editor, Watson Armbruster, served as managing editor.
A satirical, 16-page, well illustrated humor magazine, Frank Leslie’s Budget of Fun (1855- was the second publication of successful New York newspaper publisher Frank Leslie (1821-1880).
Frank Leslie began his weekly illustrated newspaper in 1855, first edited by John Y. Foster. Printed on large quarto sized paper, each issue was 16 pages, and ran a mix of stories relating to war, politics, exploration, literature, and art, interspersed with detailed woodblock prints.
The Pittsburgh Gazette was first published on July 29, 1786. The newspaper changed ownership and titles several times until it was renamed the Gazette Times in 1906. In 1927 the Gazette Times became the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Harper & Brothers was a publishing house founded as J.J. Harper in 1817. In 1833, the company changed its name to Harper & Brothers, to Harper & Row in 1962, and Harper Collins in 1990. Harper & Brothers was headquartered on Pearl Street in Manhattan, New York, and began publishing Harper’s New Monthly Magazine in 1850.
Harper’s Weekly was an illustrated political magazine printed by the New York City publishing house Harper & Brothers from 1857 to 1916. It quickly became a popular weekly publication in New York and featured prominent authors such as Charles Dickens and William Thackeray. By 1860 it had 200,000 subscribers.
The J. Ottman Lithographic Company was the lithographer for the humor magazine Puck. In 1874 Jacob Ottman formed Mayer, Merkel & Ottman with partners Vincent Mayer and August Merkel. After Mayer and Merkel retired in 1885, the first was renamed J. Ottman Lithographing Company. Ottman died in 1890, but the firmed remained in business until the beginning of the 20th century.